Darwin’s route Chiloe Island Conservation Tour
Oct to Apr
Darwin’s route Chiloe Island Conservation Tour. Discover the wonders that Charles Darwin saw on his journey to the south of Chile. Explore this fascinating territory of the Chilean Rainforest, and watch the same species of flora and fauna described by one of the Fathers of Modern Science.
8-Day Darwin’s Route Tour in Chiloé Island
This is one of our best Conservation Tours. Alongside exceptional local guides you will assist in the collection of valuable data for understanding these ecosystems. You can record what you observe in your nature traveler log. This tour is for those who love nature and want to be protagonists of its conservation. During the course of eight days you can explore the hidden corners of Chiloe on foot and by water. You will visit the Senda Darwin Biological Station and the private conservation areas of Ahuenco Park and Coluco Lake where the pudú deer is abundant. In Chiloe fishing boats you will discover the coast of the island, where you can spot several species of mammals, shorebirds and seabirds, not to mention the Humboldt Penguin and the Magellanic Penguin.
Some of the most amazing migratory birds you can see in all its splendor is the Hudsonian godwit. This bird travels 14.000 km from Alaska to Chiloe Island.
The Audubon Society, along with local partners is beginning to address conservation needs. Their strategic plan involves educational programs and engaging landowners into Best Management Practices: watershed management and sustainable agricultural techniques. These initiatives spread awareness about the importance of coastal wetland habitats to migratory shorebirds and ensure that Hudsonian godwits and Whimbrels have a safe and sustainable wintering place for years to come.
- From $2.425 to $4.350
“For groups over 10 people, please contact us for private group rates”
- Professional tour guide.
- Private transportation.
- Accommodation at 3* hotels, guest house and refugio.
- Meals as per itinerary (07 breakfasts, 02 picnic lunches, 06 lunches and 05 dinner).
- Gratuities at restaurants and hotels.
- Accidents insurance
- All activities according to the itinerary: birdwatching, sea mammals watching, soft hiking, boat ride, ferry crossing, volunteer nature conservation activities.
- Entrance fees and USD $50 donation for conservation actions in Ahuenco Park
- International and local flights.
- Extra beverages & cocktails.
- Reciprocity fees for VISA in Chile.
- We run this tour under a private departure request. In this case you set the dates.
- Tour available: October 2019 and April 2020 (except in February).
Arrival to Puerto Montt Airport and shuttle to Ancud. We can pick you up from a hotel (in Puerto Varas) or the airport in Puerto Montt. We’ll have a 1 hour transfer to ferry crossing – first birdwatching from ferry. Arrival to the village of Chacao which was where Spaniards arrived in 1567 (historical, cultural and natural history orientation). Our local guides greet us with a welcome dinner and a technical briefing about the tour.
Accommodation at HOTEL ANCUD, 3* www.hotel-ancud.cl
Meals: Lunch and Welcome dinner.